Mission Statement of the IBO
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment. These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and life-long learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IBMYP) curriculum aims to:
- promote responsible global citizenship and encourage international-mindedness
- encourage a positive attitude to learning by challenging students to solve problems, show creativity and resourcefulness and participate actively in their communities
- reflect real life by allowing students to se the connections among the subjects themselves and between subjects and real issues
- support the development of communication skills - inquiry, understanding, language acquisition, reflection and expression
- emphasize, through the learner profile, the development of the whole child - physically, intellectually, emotionally, socially and ethically
- Provide students with the skills to act collaboratively and become critical and reflective thinkers
The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IBMYP) is a four year program designed for students between the ages of eleven and sixteen or in grades 6 to 9. The age group for which the program is intended represents a critical stage in a student’s personal and intellectual development. For many students, it is a time of uncertainty, heightened sensitivity and susceptibility, as well as a time for questioning many aspects of their life in the world around them. The IBMYP responds by providing a disciplined, yet open, approach with challenging standards. The program provides opportunities for students to develop skills and to exercise creativity, thereby encouraging them to become responsible, self-reliant and participating members of society.
Year One of the IBMYP is offered at both Westglen and Glenora Schools.
Year Two, Three and Four of the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IBMYP) is offered at Westminster School. A student does not have to take Year One of the IBMYP to register at Westminster School. We accept students into Year Two without any previous IB programming.
Coronation School is a International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program (IBPYP) and offers IBPYP to students in Kindergarten to Grade 6.
At the core of Westminter's Pedagogy is the IB Learner Profile. Regardless of our students' strengths and challenges, we believe that the IB Learner Profile is applicable to ALL of our students. Every student is worthy of an IB education. We facilitate an environment where each and every student can be:
Every student in the IBMYP will study eight subject disciplines. These include:
- Language A (at Westminster this is English Language Arts)
- Language B (at Westminster we offer French and Spanish)
- Humanities (Social Studies which includes History and Geography)
- Arts (includes one of Music, Drama, and/or Art)
- Physical Education
- Design (choices may include Computer Studies, Food Studies, Construction, Drafting and Design, Environment Outdoor Education, Mechanical Studies, Film Exploration)